  From: Edward Przybylek
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 4:05 PM
  Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] water softeners

  Hi Rob,

  I've got a water softener in my house and every year I have someone come in
  to service the unit. Part of this job includes cleaning the brine bucket.
  I get the same very solid block of stuff at the bottom of the bucket that
  needs to be broken up and disposed of. The block is simply impurities from
  the salt that build up over the year. The best way I've found to break-up
  the block is to use an old screwdriver or chisel and a rubber mallet. It
  takes a little time but it's not difficult. Good luck.

  Take care,

  Ed Przybylek