  From: Dale Leavens
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2008 11:00 AM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] cutting a circular hole

  A fly cutter is a drill bit set into a thicker mandrill which is to be
mounted into the chuck of a drill press. There is a bar which runs through a
square hole in that mandrill laterally which can be slid further out from the
shaft and tightened into place with a set screw. This lateral bar has another
rectangular bar extending down with a beveled sort of sharpened chisel tip
which revolves around the bit center as they both turn and which describes a
circle the radius of the amount of the lateral beam protruding from the
mandrill.This sharp chisel then is spinning at the radius from the center which
has been selected by the user and of course the entire thing is necessarily
unbalanced.

  In a drill press it does at least maintain it's position relative to the work
being cut, on the end of a hand held drill though, just the off-center
vibration makes it near impossible to keep steady. Once it begins biting into
wood, and remembering at two points in the rotation it is cutting cross grain
while at two other points it is cutting with the grain, the rotation torque is
constantly variable. As hard and strong as the steel is, the possibility of any
number of things failing is very high.

  Because of the design too, the depth of the fly cutter is only about an inch.
They do come in different sizes, the one I have probably cuts up to about 4 and
a half maybe 5 inches.

  My experience is that regardless of how much care I use one or other of the
set screws fails during the process and usually it is the radius which begins
expanding. I had such a problem when cutting to form a nice arch shaped cutout
on the fence I made for my router table. My idea was to cut the hole just
centered a little below the radius of the hole then with the table saw cut away
the edges to form what would look like a very steady handed ban saw operator
had formed a fine archway for the dust collection.

  From one side it turned out like that, the other side ended up having a
quarter inch deep curved line about 3/8ths outside the circumference of the
arc. I hid this from view by making that the back side of the fence and
covering it with the construction into which the dust collection hose gets
fitted.I then ordered two sets of what should be good quality hole saws.