Tom I have no clue if there is a tool like you are looking for but
here is one fort those mad inventors. Imagine if you had something
like the belt sander  concept  but something that would like you need
slowly open up a channel the length of the sand paper or tool? I know
of the brick set up you are talking about as we had a friend  with a
similar  inside/ outside wall. those were what we called Empire bricks
made of Columbia County  clay back inthe late 40's.. . What you want Tom
is something that looks nice and what my friend did was to  just put in
new wiring   that looked like a construction setup.  running wire thru a
conduit   along the inside of walls. so his thought is" what do I
care.I'm blind".  with a house as old as yours is Tom my question is is
there an inside and outside wall  air space on the North and West side?
We had that in our first home  which actually had a  solid  basement
window and my wife told me you could see the leaves between the inside
and outside windows. thus the original  builder in the late 1700's had
built that house with a dead air space  between the inside and outside
brick walls..  wish I had a good answer for you but. just figured I
would chime in here. Lee

 On Thu, Jul
17,
2008 at
06:44:57PM -0400, Tom
Hodges wrote:
> I am currently rewiring my 113-year old brick house, and removing the old
> knob and tube wiring.  Years ago, someone had installed surface mounted
> duplex outlet boxes on the baseboards, which I would like to remove and
> mount in the wall one foot up the wall per code; however, my walls are brick
> - not brick veneer, but solid brick 18" thick.  Does anyone have ideas on
> how I chisel out this brick and flush mount these boxes instead of surface
> mounting them, which is too obtrusive.
>

> I'd like to chisel them out, add some cement in the back, and possibly also
> use concrete screws, but I'm afraid if I use a hammer and chisel, I'm not
> going to get a smooth surface in the back of the hole.  Does anyone know of
> any kind of concrete bit I could use in my drill to smooth out the back of
> these holes?  Or any other way of doing this?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Tom

"... And remember: if you don't like the news, go out and make some of
your own."
                -- "Scoop" Nisker, KFOG radio reporter Preposterous Words
Come and chat with me at #quietzone on irc.newnet.net