what is the base diameter of the "peg'd" pieces?
if it's 1 inch, what would it hurt if yu took your walnut and drilled out
1.5 inch circles?
yeah, okay so it would be circles instead of squares, as you'd be looking
through the walnut onto the maple. But the walnut would be raised, you
could use a solid piece (glued strip or not) of walnut and you'd have the
raised and lowered aspect of the project.
You could lay the walnut over the maple, drill through both for the peg,
and then lift the wlanut to do the 1.5 inch boring and your 8x8 peg matrix
would still exist.
I'm just trying to help in thanks for the trick you shared regarding the
trick of a chess board.
Or, how about this?
Get 2x2 of a wood.
then cut slices. Yeah 32 of them. But with a chop saw, that could be too
tough.
I've made ebony pieces, and would have been thankful for a chop saw.
They would be end grain, if you can tolerate that.
Good luck,