I'm with the Save the Cricket Foundation and I say, leave the poor fellow
alone!

-----Original Message-----
From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Scott Howell
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 5:20 AM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] How to Get Rid of Crickets - How to Get Rid of
Stuff

Geez, I never really paid much attention to crickets. We used to get
those oh think they call them camelback crickets now and then and
those are what my wife calls the hopping bugs. I mean those little
suckers can really jump. Thanks for sharing the info, I simply had no
idea they could tear up furniture and so forth.

On Oct 16, 2008, at 10:02 AM, Lenny McHugh wrote:

> [...]
> if your
> home can easily be infested by these pests, your efforts will be
> worthless.
> To make sure that no brave cricket finds its way into your home and
> into
> your closets, you must make your home cricket-proof - this means
> blocking
> off every entry point in your home that may be used by these uninvited
> guests.
>

> Start by sealing cracks and crevices along walls, doors, windows,
> and air
> vents. If you can't seal off the opening, then cover the area with a
> screen,
> cloth, or any material that a cricket can't pass through.
>

> Crickets love vegetation. If you have a lot of plants around your
> house,
> keep them trimmed and under control. Also, make sure plants and
> grasses are
> at least a meter away from the walls of your house. Crickets love to
> gather
> near walls where foliage is abundant. Soon, they may eat through
> your home's
> walls and make it inside.
>

> Debris and other junk must also go. If you have a lot of it in your
> garage
> or in your garden, you need to discard it as soon as possible. You
> don't
> want these crickets building a nest anywhere near your home, so see
> to it
> your garbage bins are covered or sealed.
>

> Make sure you also check your drains and roof gutters. Debris often
> gathers
> in those spots and is often left unchecked, making it an ideal nest
> for
> crickets. Regular cleaning and inspection will get rid of both
> crickets and
> the thousands of eggs laid there.
>

> If you have bright lights outside your house, you may want to
> replace them
> with low light or "bug" bulbs. Crickets are attracted to bright
> lighting at
> night, so having them on is like holding a sign that reads:
> "Crickets are
> welcome here." A trip to your local hardware shop to buy these low-
> light
> bulbs will save you the worries of attracting hordes of crickets to
> your
> home. Low-light bulbs emit a yellowish glow and are inexpensive. If
> you can't
> find them, then keep your bright lights off at night.
>

> It is a lot easier to prevent a cricket infestation than to be
> forced to get
> rid of them. Getting rid of them can be very costly, especially when
> they
> destroy your clothes and furniture. If you have yet to experience a
> cricket
> infestation, check over your entire house to make sure you never do.

http://www.acbradio.org/pweb/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_p
age&PAGE_id=33&MMN_position=47:29
> Or

> Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From
> Various List Members At The Following address:
> http://www.jaws-users.com/JAWS/handyman/
>
> Visit the archives page at the following address
>
> If you would like to join the JAWS Users List, then visit the
> following address for more information:
> http://www.jaws-users.com/
> For a complete list of email commands pertaining to the Blind Handy
> Man list just send a blank message to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Groups Links

Scott Howell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.acbradio.org/pweb/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_p
age&PAGE_id=33&MMN_position=47:29
Or

Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
List Members At The Following address: