From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Betsy Whitney
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 2:00 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Question about smoke alarms

Aloha,
This is a question about smoke alarms that are hardwired with battery
backup. The house belongs to my friend and the wiring was redone
about a year and a half ago, to bring it up to code.

Are these alarms generally wired in such a way that if one of the
batteries gets low, all of the alarms will start beeping? This
happened about six months ago and it took awhile to figure out which
alarm battery needed to be replaced.

Then, a couple days ago, another alarm started beeping by itself, but
when she replaced that battery, it didn't stop. She finally started
replacing batteries in all the alarms and when she replaced the one
in her hallway, an alarm that was not beeping, the beeping stopped.

Is it usual for the batteries in these hard-wired alarms to get low
every six months?
Thanks, Betsy