I would put dielectric grease on the splice.  If the jar isn't huge, I would
fill it also with dielectric grease.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jewel" <jewelbla...@xtra.co.nz>
To: "bhm" <blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 08:34 PM
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Underground electricity cable

I have widened a gateway under which runs the cable carrying the electricity
to my hot wire fence.
Consequently, I have had to extend the cable.
Preventing the joint from coming in contact with water and  soil:  both
implacable enemies of
electricity:  is the essential component to making the extension work.
What I have done is to drill a hole in the lid and bottom of a plastic jar:
fed the cable through
the holes so that one cable has the lid threaded on to it, and the other,
the jar itself.  I then
clamped the two cables together and pulled the cable back so that the clamp
is enclosed within the
jar and screwed the lid on.
I haven't reburied the cable yet, as I wanted to know if you think that what
I have done, to date,
is sufficient protection.
When I do dig the cable back in, I plan to put a brick on either side of the
jar so that, if a
vehicle should pass over top of it, it will be the bricks that will take the
weight, leaving the jar
unhurt!
I would have preferred to use a glass jar, but I did not know how to drill a
hole through glass:
hence the ubiquitous plastic jar.
If I had used a glass jar, its life within the ground would be very long,
but what about the
plastic.
It is not too late to change the jars if anyone can tell me a good, safe way
to drill through glass!
Any better ideas will be studied and evaluated for their betterness!

           Jewel

------------------------------------

blindhandyman-ow...@yahoogroups.com
http://www.acbradio.org/pweb/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=33&MMN_position=47:29
Or

Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
List Members At The Following address:
http://www.jaws-users.com/JAWS/handyman/

If you would like to join the JAWS Users List, then visit the following
address for more information:
http://www.jaws-users.com/