Dear William:
    The loop antennas I described are not grounded, although I do have a ground
wire that connects to my amateur rig.  Some antennas are grounded at a point,
either at the receiver end or some are grounded through a resister at the
opposite end of the antenna.
    I had a ham friend who grounded his system to a well casing, thinking that
was a great ground.  It apparently was just that, and the next time an
electrical storm came his way, the lightening scored a direct hit on his ham
station.  Grounding or not to ground will also create a good debate among
experienced radio enthusiasts.

                Yours Truly,

                Clifford Wilson