Hi Spiro,

As so often is the case, price depends! The biggest and best routers can cost
in excess of $500. Big ones are often pretty nice in a router table and the
power is often welcome however depending on your primary use these big beggars
are not necessarily the best buy. They are not even the most versatile. They
are very powerful, very heavy and usually very big. Definitely not the sort of
machine you want for mortising out hinges.

If you are likely to be using very big bits like panel raising bits then you
will really appreciate variable speed to slow down the large diameter bits but
in practice I rarely slow my variable speed down but that will depend on what
you are doing.

So, something like a hundred and fifty bucks for the smaller light weight
so-called trim routers would buy you a pretty darn good one, maybe 250 dollars
for a two and a quarter to two and a half horse power router with or without
plunge base which, for most people would probably be about the most versatile.
Something approaching 300 bucks should buy a big 3.25 HP router.

Porter Cable among others make a pretty nice router motor which will receive
fixed or plunge bases. Although a plunge base can be fixed they have a lot of
extra stuff on them so interchangeable bases might be a nice option and I see
them for a little better than 200 bucks. Most all accessories are universal to
the Porter Cable routers. My objection to most Porter Cable routers though is
that they require two wrenches for bit changes and the operation is usually a
knuckle skinner. The result though is very positive, still they could come up
with a better solution.

If you want one for a router table be sure to buy one with what they call
through the base height adjustment. I should have waited for that option before
buying my big Triton. You also want one which rises above the table top for bit
changes, this is a very convenient and worth while feature.

American prices might be a little less just now but once you get down to around
a hundred bucks or a little more you will be disappointed unless you only make
very occasional use of light work of the router.

Hope this is helpful.