Hey Matt:

Either of these kits will work just fine.  You will have to decide based on the
available letters which one you want.

I would choose a Porter Cable router.  Either the 690 or 890 series are good
products.  Both will accept 1/4 or 1/2 bits.  You can
get kits with both the plunge and fixed bases.  One just puts the motor in the
desired base.  Features the 890 series has that the
690 doesn't is a bigger motor, softstart, variable speed and fine adjustment.
THat soft start is nice.  When turning on the 690,
you had better have a good grip on it; or, you and your router will be doing
the tango.  (not my idea of a friendly dance partner)
The standard bushings are made to fit the Porter Cable router directly.  You
won't have to purchase an additional base plate.

I have happily used these routers for several years.  My 690, although pretty
old, still works fine.  The collets that come with
these routers is of excellent design.  I have never had a bit slip.  You will
definately need a plunge base to make signs.

Terry
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:19:14 -0600you write: