Those cow magnets are a total rip-off. I could never pick up a cow with one,
heck, I couldn't even get it to stick to the cow!

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tom Fowle
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:25 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Braille compass.

  I bet the mass of the spinning plate is just too much for
  both the strength of the magnet and the quality of
  the bearing.

  go to a hardware store and get a "cow magnet"
  hang it from a string centered on the magnet. Hold it out and wait
  a few seconds. There you have it, with a gentle touch
  you can read it pretty well without moving it, and it's only
  a few bucks. Of course you look like you're
  doing E ching or dousing for iron but what the heck, it may be
  better than being lost.

  Tom Fowle