In recent months Ray, betsy and Lenny have posted  inferior products
coming mostly out of China. I have found this same problem here in my
house  trying to maintain , with the cable company, the use of a cable
phone. I have talked to David and others who have cable phones and they
have no problem.  Not sure if my own cable company  has just bought the
cheapest crap  on the market but case in point is  " that silver box,
you know the one" don't you just hate that , if you cannot see black and
white or the end of your nose that you and I are going to know about
that  silver box location.  Thru  many many home visits by cable vision
techs I now know that the silver box. which has a three wire connection
, is a part of the telephone relay connection.  this little  silver box
 feels like a 9 volt battery but maybe a bit wider but not much taller.
when I get or have a weak signle . they, the cable company want me to
unplug the silver box and wait 30 seconds and then  plugh it back. in.
Now keep in mind they are watching what I do from their office computer
and sometimes watching me right here in the house. the last time they
were in person  replacing the silver box they opened three plastic
packages before they found one that worked and showed a  good wave
length  back inside their office and on the cable techs   devices.
Interesting. then they detect a modem problem but they ae not so easy in
passing out a new cable /phone modem , but again, they come from China
packed in the USA and inside China.  I guess I am telling you all of
this so next time you talk to a tech on the phone about your high speed
computer and or  your cable phone  and that service tech  in a office
asks you to test that silver box. " you know the one setting on top of
your monitor.Education, education, education is what we need to do as
blind handymen and women to  let some service techs that we are not
exactly stupid but only blind. Now how was that for a happy rant ? Lee

--
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.  It knows it must run faster
than the fastest lion or it will be killed.  Every morning a lion wakes up.