I'm betting the blue was actually green in which case that would be the wire
for a 3 way switch.  But if he ran 12 gauge to a water heater you're lucky it
didn't start a fire.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Lenny McHugh
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:40 AM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] electrical color and orientation

  What is the blue. Before I switched to gas hot water the old electric unit
  had white, red, black, blue and ground. About ten years ago I had an
  electrician run some gfci lines in the bathroom. at one point he used a a
  12/4 with ground. This 12/4 had the white,red,black and blue wires. I don't
  remember if he used the blue for the hot that was gfci protected or the blue
  for the hot that was not gfci.