On topic as built another raised bed. 4.5 feet in width, 10 feet long and
the height above ground is 3.5 feet. With the use of landscaping timbers,
12.5 spike nails. The only thing my son Norman made sure was the marking for
the proper length before using my woodsman medium size saw. Along with
making sure Dad was on straight line cutting! Just used a 5 pounder hammer
in nailing down the spikes. Which he assisted in after Dad's arms got a
little tired at nailing.
The area was picked out where this was going to go. Then spade shovel and
digging up that area of the lawn. The sod off to the side, as there was,
areas of the lawn that could use some of it. The rest was pounded by hand
till all the top-soil was removed into the box. Then moving it around after
the frame was set into place and worked the top-soil back till down to the
gravel base. Which is only 14 inches down. Lined the bottom, across the
gravel, with card-board and newspapers on one side and sifted and made sure
all roots and etc were out of the soil on top of the card-board and
newspapers. Then repeat to the other side and move the top-soil over equally
across the entire bottom. Added in some nice rich cow manure, thin layer. I
also ordered, thinking 4 yards is not too much, of Compost soil. Delivered
and dropped into the top half of my black-top driveway, by the garage. So
with buckets my son and I gradually working over the compost soil and doing
layering of it and cow manure and compress packing. Finally topping it off.
So it is ready now for planting. Realizing what we had for a load of compost
soil? Well, went around the entire lawn and spread a thin layer over the
entire open lawn. We have an interesting neighborhood and being I paid $156
for the load, the rest filled the center of the garage floor. I am going to
Wal-Mart Store and getting two large Rubbermaid bins. These are very good
size and great storage bins. So will fill two of them up and compress pack
the compost soil into the two bins and cover them for little projects here
and there. A friend of mine has a pick-up truck. So I decided being my
gardening place is a little drive and I usually have them just deliver at a
cost. I'd do a little bartering with the price of gas and the truck. The
soil that is left over? Well, he has a 6 foot bed and if I had to guess the
rest of the soil that is left that it would fill a 3 foot area and right up
to the top of the frame of the bed easy. So called my buddy Lance and he
said, sure! My wife needs some good soil for her flower bed, you, got a
deal! So now I can have my garage back and still have enough of the compost
soil in two storage bins for little projects later!
So, that is my little project of building.
Geno