At least for me, my water meter is in the basement and there is a shut-off
there, but then there is another shut-off between there and the main.
That is the one buried in the lawn.

I assume that in some warmer places the meters may be above ground level.
And in places that don't have basements, I have no idea where they might
put them.

We have a box on the outside of the house that is supposed to let the
meter readers read the water usage electronically.  However, I have my
suspicions that they don't read them all that often as once a year or
two, I get a ridiculous water bill that is for much more than my average
bill.  For instance, they only charge by the thousand gallons here.  My
bill is typically for 3000 gallons a month, occasionally it dips just
below that I guess and the bill is for 2000 gallons.  Last year I got a
bill for 8000 gallons.  I made them come out and reread the meter and they
said it was correct.  I seriously doubt I just happened to use an extra
5000 gallons in 30 days without realizing it.  That would be more than
just a drip.

Same exact thing happened to a buddy of mine.

  --
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi