The reason to lock them is if someone rings/knocks on your door and
you open the inner door to speak with them, there is at least a few
seconds between you and them if they attempt to pull the storm door
open. Some storm doors actually have a sort of decent lock.  This lock
is not a simple handle lock, but a small deadbolt that would slow
someone up for sure.