Hi all,

I just want to say thanks for all the excellent suggestions and advice
everyone provided on my mailbox problem.  I installed the mailbox post
yesterday with a friend of mine.  The final design is a conglomerate of
ideas from your posts.  The new post, a six-by-six lenth of pressure treated
lumber, is buried in the ground about two feet and rests on a rather large
stone at the bottom of the hole.  Conveniently, the stone was at the bottom
of the hole and we gave up trying to dig deeper when, after half an hour, we
couldn't get the damn thing out of our way.  We poured about fourteen inches
of concrete into the hole and then placed a ten inch Sonotube into the hole
around the post.  We then filled the Sonotube with concrete to about
eighteen inches above the top of the soil.  I checked the post about an hour
ago and it feels quite solid and, in my mind's eye, looks really good.  I've
already gotten three comments from my neighbors and they pretty much agree
with me.  Two neighbors said they'd hate to be in the car or truck that ever
hits my post.  Next year, when the pressure treated post has had some time
to dry, I plan to paint the post the same color as my house.  Thanks for all
the help.

Take care,

Ed Przybylek