Al,
Yes, it surely does not have the capability to access a UPC database.  I
wondered if it could simply recognize UPC codes and let the user record info
for each one as you do with there lables.

It would not really be that much of an advantage as finding UPCs on packages
is a real problem with this type of code reader.

If I lived alone with minimal sighted help, I'd have ordered one up
yesterday.

Tom Fowle