  From: Ron Yearns
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 7:38 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] sewing machines

  I guess I do a very limited work on our machines. Our commercial machine I am
able to thread adjust tensions and replace needles. On most machines there is a
upper thread tension device usually a couple of beveled disks that the thread
loops under and a thumb screw to tighten the disks together or loosen them to
adjust that tension. The bottom thread tension is adjusted with a very small
screw on the outside of the bobbin case. Tightening it increases tension on a
flat spring that rides against the bobbin thread. Threading the needle requires
me to use a small hand loop needle threaded, which I then thread with a larger
loop made from bare telephone wire. 22 gage I think it is. Slow, but works.
Needle replacement isn't real difficult as long as the flat side is put towards
the correct direction. I have to look that up each time. Other machine needles
probable vary.
  I also make sure enough oil is in the reservoir. Putting the bobbin in and
out of the machine can sometimes be real tricky.
  Ron