Well folks, as the subject line indicates I've been trying to fix a leaking or
running toilet today.  So far the lads at the hardware store, you know, the one
that's a mile from my house on foot and a mile bac, have sold me two flappers,
one which I broke because the ears wouldn't fit my toilet, and one that fits so
poorly the toilet refills every 30 seconds or so.
I'm usually pretty easy to get along with when it comes to people making
mistakes, but I was a little unhappy, so called the manager of the place after
the second flapper didn't work.  I was explaining my unhappiness to her, and
she said she was truly sorry but that the place had just been held up at
gunpoint and they were dealing with the police and could I come in tomorrow.
So what could I say.

Anyway, then I started switching flappers and have two out of three toilets
working, however, when I press the flush handle, the flapper wants to seat
itself before the tank empties.  Can some of you folks give me some pointers?
Do I need to put some kind of small floats on the chains close to the flappers?
 The old one that I replaced did have a chunk of cork or something similar on
the chain, but the replacement flappers don't have anything like that on the
chains that came with them.  The flappers are hollow rubber if that helps the
diagnosis.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bill Stephan
Kansas Citty MO