  From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]on Behalf Of Tom Hodges
  Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2009 2:58 PM
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] Re: another measuring device:

  Hello Tom. I just spent about an hour and a half at Lowes playing around
  with the dowels and plastic pipes.

  Here's what I found:

  They had a thin wall PVC pipe and a thicker (schedule 40) PVC pipe.

  Theyy only had one half round and it was five eights.

  They also had square sticks right next to the round dowels.

  What worked the best as far as a good fit was three quarter inch, schedule
  40 pipe and a five eights inch square stick. These come in three foot
  lengths.

  This arrangement only fits if you sand down two adjacent corners of the
  stick. You only have to sand down about a sixteenth of an inch from the
two
  corners. No problem at all. It made a nice snug fit.

  I bought a 10-20 by three quarter inch long wing bolt. I'm going to tap
  threads into the pipe since the schedule 40 pipe wall is pretty thick. If
  it doesn't hold, I think I can fit a nut inside like you did. When I put
  the stick inside the PVC pipe, I'll position it with the sanded corners
away
  from the bolt end, so there will be more room inside for a nut if I decide
  that I need one.

  All I did so far is sand the corners of the stick to fit it into the pvc
  pipe. Don't have time to finish it today because I had to help the better
  half out in the yard, then she wants to go out for dinner, then a few
drinks
  at the American Legion. That sounds better than working on this measuring
  stick. Tomorrow is another day.

  I think this is going to work out well because the schedule 40, three
  quarter inch pipe is nice and rigid and still light weight. I had no idea
  they had the square, three foot long, sticks. The sticks make it easier
  than cutting the round dowel.

  Will let you know how it all works out as I progress. If it works well,
  I'll make about three or four of them starting at about 6 inches and going
  up to about three feet, or longer if I can find some longer square sticks.
  These lengths are in the non extended state, so, the overall length will
be
  about double that.

  Thanks for all your help by explaining how you did it.

  Regards, Tom H