One thing I've learned is you can't live with them and you can't shoot them.
But at least you're still with your first wife...
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: clifford
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Cc: blindlik...@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 11:31 PM
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] laminate instilation

  Dear List Members:
  In order for peace and tranquility to break out here in hillbilly country, I
agreed that my first wife's wish to remove our nice warm thick carpet, and to
install laminate flooring in its place would become a reality.The fellow who we
had hired to do some home repairs has not returned in a month, so we tackled
the job ourselves, with the assistance of our thirty year old son and it turns
out with two most wonderful grandsons who came with the package. As usual, the
instructions were set aside when opening the packages of flooring, and were
consulted only briefly so that we figured out that the foam padding was to be
placed on the down side. Our din and kitchen are one room separated by a set of
cabinets with a bar on the bottom, so my first wife insists that we remove not
only the lovely carpet in the din, but also the vinyl in the kitchen, which
involved three layers. We decided to leave the bottom layer, as it may have a
bit of asbestos, and simply covered it.
  I am quite sure that installing this flooring is fairly simple in a new home,
where the base board and door trim have not been installed, but in our case we
had to remove the baseboard, and cut off the bottom of the door trim, which was
difficult at best. When we got to the last pieces, where one has to raise the
piece in order to lock it and at the same time get it to slide under the trim,
it became evident that the door trim had to come off. Our trim was installed in
1977 by my father, who built houses to last, and he had no reason to think that
any sensible person would ever remove any of the fine handiwork he put in to
the house. That means simply that most of the trim was destroyed in the process
of removal, as it was firmly nailed in place.
  The job is nearing completion, just as soon as the new trim is finished and
in place. The nice warm carpet is now being parceled out to dog houses etc, as
the temperatures have dropped in to the low teens here in East Tennessee. It is
my hope that my first wife, Sue, is pleased and that she will be smiling when
my toes are frost bitten on this cold laminate flooring.
  I will agree that it goes down much easier than the old hardwood flooring
that replaced our carpet in the living-room and dining room several years ago.
  Next up, buying an area rug!!! Women! they are fascinating, right?

  Yours Truly,

  Clifford Wilson

database 4740 (20100103) __________

  http://www.eset.com