Hi William

I will see if these are available out here when I go to the Tool Warehouse
next time

From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of William Stephan
Sent: Sunday, 17 January 2010 10:14 AM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] All Purpose Knife

Ray: I've had any number of these utility tools over the years, and I'd say
Leatherman is the best out there. I have a Leatherman Wave, which

Has a standard knife, serrated knife, saw and double-sided file/ruler
available without opening the tool. Upon opening the tool you of course
have pliers and wire cutters, and a wide-bladed screwdriver, a Phillips
screw driver a lanyard ring and a combination bottle/can opener on one side,
and cyzors, two narrower screw driver blades and an awl on the other.

The outside blades do lock, but the inner ones do not, though they're
pretty stiff and the likelihood of accidentally closing them is probably
pretty low.

I also have the Leatherman Super tool II, which I would say is somewhat
more ruggedly constructed than the Wave is. You have to open the Super Tool
II to access any tools however. When you open the body, just like the Wave,
you have the standard plyers/cutters, and there is a Phillips head screw
driver, seraded knife, saw, comination bottle can opener and narrow-bladed
screw driver on one side. The other side of the tool has a standard knife,
double-sided file, one wide and one medium screw driver blade.

So I guess the bottom line is that you sacrifice the cyzers for the heavier
duty construction with the Super Tool. I used to hang out wit some dog
mushes and other Alaskan types at various times, and they seemed to prefer
the Super Tool style. It's pretty easy to adjust the blade torque (I guess
that's what we'd call it), on the Super Tool, but I think you'd haee to have
some kind of specialty driver to do that on the Wave, if it's even possible.

Tgese are not cheap by any means, and I once bought some knock-offs made by
Nickelson. I actually broke the plyers on two of those, so I guess the
steel they were made of was inferior.