Hi Kieth and all,

I mostly work with wood.

I put glue  on only one surface. I then, as you mentioned, smear it with my
finger to see that the area will get covered.

I then clamp it very tight. Wood always has a slight bow or twist. It is not
purfect. Clamping hard forces the two boards flat surfaces completely
together. Yes glue will come out. That is actually a good sign. Then you
know you had enough and that no air pocket of length  is present.

I want to glue boards only once. I don't want them to come apart in the
future. The humidity in a house changes, which will effect wood. If the
joint is not perfect and tight, the slight movement of the wood will
eventually work the joint to break.

Now here is the most important part, blind or sighted. Have a wet rage in a
bowl ready. When the boards are clamped up, then whipe the joint with the
wet rag, several times. This will get all the extra glue off. In my earlier
years I did not do this but sanded if off. My wife, who is sighted, who did
the staining, noticed that even if I sanded the stain would not take in the
places where glue dried. It worked into the wood and repelled the stain.

Dave

Working together, sharing the light of salvation seen through the cross of
Jesus

Rev. Dave Andrus, Director
Lutheran Blind Mission
888 215 2455