  From: Bill Gallik
  To: Blind Handyman
  Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:32 PM
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Pop Rivets Question

  I have somebody who asked me about what a rivet tool was and what it's uses
are. I'd like to explain a pop rivet to her, but I'm not sure the best
terminology.

  Can anybody tell me what the correct term is for the shank on a pop rivet?

  Also, would the "flange" or rim of the pop rivet correctly be called the
shoulder?

  And now, I also have these goofy rivets that have no shank. The rivet tool
these came with have a threaded shank that is inserted into the rivet tool
before the head is attached. Then the rivet itself threads onto this shank
after the head is threaded onto the rivet tool itself. Of course, the rivet rim
or shoulder goes onto this threaded shank first and the bottom of the rivet
body threads on to the exposed end of this "threaded shank." Can anybody tell
me the correct name of this type of rivet?

  Thanks!

  And guys, remember, I'm trying to make a good impression with this gal so no
foolishness about shanks and bulges, etc! Please!
  ----
  Holland's Person, Bill
  - "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."
  - US Humorist, Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)