Hi,

The question: what does f.i.p. stand for?

The story behind the question.
My wife found a very nice marbeltop sink and vanity for our bathroom. So
last night I went to take out the old one in our present bathroom. Of course
nothing is as easy as take out, put in.

I went to turn off the valves under the sink. I found out when I took off
the supply line that the valves no longer work. Lots of water spirting
everywhere. They felt very old and almost rusty. So it did not surprise me
that they did not work. I thought of replacing the rubber washer in the
valve but decided that new valves would be a better route to go.

I went and turned off the water at the  main that I could take off this
non-working valve and send it with my sighted wife to the store to get two
new ones. Turning off the main, turning on faucets all around the house to
bleed out water from the pipes I went back to the bathroom. Well I found out
that the main valve also does not shut off the water completely. I found
that out when I went to take off the valve under the sink. More water
spirting everywhere.

So I quickly put it on to stop the flow of water.

Coming out of the wall was a pipe which I measured at 7/8 of an inch outter
diameter with threads.

So my wife went to the store and brought home a valve which was a half inch
f.i.p. valve. The valve was female and fit the male end of the pipe coming
out of the wall perfectly.

So with water flowing out, I switched the old for the new, fitting
perfectly. Now the valves are  working well.

So the question again is what does f.i.p. on this half inch valve mean?

Dave A.

Working together, sharing the light of salvation seen through the cross of
Jesus

Rev. Dave Andrus, Director
Lutheran Blind Mission
888 215 2455