Paul, a dolly with 8 inch wheels would work better on stairs.
but, honestly, when I used to stack 2 6000 btu units in a very narrow
window for my mom each year (before panasonic introduced their narrow
profile units) I found that there is no near alternative to a helper so
you can carry them together up those steps.
I've even rolled them up steps, and it's just not worth any of it compared
to carrying them 2 people.