Betsy,

It's not possible to determine precisely by date if your tiles have
asbestos, but here's quote from Wiccapedia.

Vinyl composition tiles took the place of

asbestos

 tiles, which were widely used in schools, hospitals, offices, and public
buildings up until the 1980s. Use of tiles and adhesives containing asbestos
were

discontinued when asbestos materials were determined to be hazardous. Tiles
free of asbestos are easily distinguished by their size - asbestos tiles
were

commonly manufactured in 9-inch squares. However, not all 9-inch square
vinyl tiles manufactured before 1980 contain asbestos. Mastics and adhesives
containing

low concentrations of asbestos were used into the 1970s and are generally
considered non-hazardous because the asbestos is not considered friable.

Non-ACM (asbestos containing materials) floor tiles are not identifiable by
their size. ACM flooring (tiles, sheets, panels, etc.) may come in any color

or size and the use of asbestos in flooring and mastics has not been
eliminated.

You do need to have a smooth surface to lay new vinyl on.  If old adhesive
is left, any imperfection in the surface below will translate to the visible
surface on top.

If you cannot get a smooth surface to lay your new vinyl, you may need to
strip the floor down to the subfloor and lay sheets of underlayment first.

Blessings,

Tom