If the purpose of the wall is to soundproof, I definitely would not place
the two by fours flat, as the smaller space inside the wall will enhance the
sound transmission.

From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Ron Yearns
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:30 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] More on studs.

I have saw people use studs flat in closet walls to reduce the space the
wall was taking up. I have used two by twos in closet walls for the same
reason. If there will be much possibility as in a hall or open area where a
person might push or be knocked against there will be giving on the flat
stud. If it is done where the plywood is used it will be mimimumal. With
sheetrock it might crack a joint open. That is my two cents worth.
Ron