From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Dan Rossi
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2010 7:48 AM
To: Blind Handyman List
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Hauling lumber.

Yesterday morning, the truck carrying my lumber order showed up at the
bottom of the stairs. I struck an agreement with the two guys, that they
would back the truck right up to the steps, pull their ramp to the first
landing, which skips the first 10 steps, then hand carry to the long
landing, which is another 10 or so steps. For that, I'd give them an extra
10 bucks each. Then I would have to carry the lumber from the end of the
long landing, up another 25 steps, down the courtyard, around the house, and
into the basement.

This not being my first time at this, I broke out my tools, a 20 foot long
length of flat tubular webbing. With this, and a fist full of Ibuprofen, I
can move just about anything.

I don't think I can accurately describe this. I tie the webbing into a large
loop. I then stack up some lumber on top of a couple of bricks. I slide one
end of the boards through the loop of webbing. I then crouch down next to
the lumber, with the stack of boards to my right. I pull the doubled webbing
up my back and over my left shoulder, then down in front of me. I take the
doubled webbing and wrap it around the stack of boards twice, leaving enough
of the end for me to hold.

When I stand up, all the weight of the lumber is on my shoulder, not my
hands or arms. Even the free end of the webbing has very little tension on
it because the friction of it against the wood holds it in place.

It makes it quite easy to haul the lumber for any distance.

Because I had a mix of treated and untreated lumber, it reminded me of just
how damn heavy the treated boards are.

Lastly, my handy dandy, brand new, panel carrier did not come in handy. I
tried hauling one of the OSB sheets with it, but it was just to damn heavy.
So I tried looping the webbing around my shoulder and then hooking the
handle of the carrier through the loop. No joy. Still too heavy to maneuver
it up the stairs. So I ended up ratchet strapping the boards to a dolly. it
took a long time, but I eventually got everything up there.

I'm hurtin today.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi