From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Ron Yearns
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:50 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] drilling under sidewalks

Well after a frustrating trip to Home Depot I acquired enough parts to water
jet a pipe under our sidewalk steps. We have a outdoor post light fixture
close to our front door and had one in the back yard. Due to the room
addition I removed the one in the back yard. They use two 12 volt automotive
1156 lamps in series. The direct burial wire is then fed from a
24 volt transformer in the garage. I decided to relocate the back yard light
into the front at the bottom of a long sidewalk that has about six steps
strung out for 30 feet. Of course the light I wished to put on the side
opposite the house as the one up by the front door is. Therefore wire must
run under the sidewalk. So for the actual fun. The steps are four foot wide
. I found a length of black pipe about five foot long. On one end I put a
half inch coupling and then a half inch plug. In this plug I drilled a hole
about one eight inch or larger. On the other end I /Put on a ball valve and
a adapter to fasten a water hose on to it. I dug out about
4 inches on one side of the walk down below the bottom of the cement. Then I
pushed the pipe into the dirt as far as I could by hand. Pulled it back
slightly. Turned the water on very briefly, then pushed again. By repeating
this turning water on and pushing I went through the four feet of dirt in
less than 5 minutes. Very similar to the method I use to sink a ground rod.
Large companies use power equipment to do this same function.
Of course much further distances, but it is amazing how easy it goes.
Ron