o so you mean draw file?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dale Leavens
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 5:52 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] advice pleas

  Hi Carl,

  I have an axe file I usually use to begin with. I sharpen a bevel from the
trailing side of the hoe fairly steep about 45 degrees so the edge will be
thicker. I have been known to use my belt sander if I need to take a log of
material to clear chips from the edge of a spade or square nose chisel which
usually results in burning holes in the dust collecting bag. I also have a
length of Whetstone to finish the edge.

  When using a file to sharpen something like an axe or hoe stroke it sideways,
that is, don't run the teeth up and down but slide the file sideways along the
edge more like you would stroke a knife blade with a knife steel. This takes
the steel down fairly fast and remarkably evenly. It does leave a burr so I use
the stone to finish that off.

  Hope that is helpful.

  If I was Han Solo I'd probably pet my wookie