Al,

My brother-in-law was just telling me that he has mostly given up on his
air driven nail guns for finishing nails.  He has two DeWalt electric guns
one for 16 gauge and one for 18 gauge.

If that doesn't work for you, there are definitely small compressors for
you to use.  Mine is about the size of an upright vacuum cleaner.

Lastly, there are systems where you can use a CO2 cartridge to power a
nailer.  It's kind of the expensive way to go, but I've considered it
because the compressor is damn noisy, and a bit of a pain in the ass to
drag out if you just need to shoot a couple of nails.

I'll also say that if I have the compressor out, I enjoy using the nail
gun for a lot of stuff.  I will often tack pieces together rather than
clamping them, or tack a straight edge down as a guide.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi