From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Dan Rossi
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 7:42 AM
To: Blind Handyman List
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Tin or galvanized

It appears from most readings, that tin roofs are just galvanized steel.
The process of dunking steel sheets into molten Zinc was called tinning.
Do I actually need to determine if my roof is really tin, or just Zinc
coated steel? After 80 years, is there any Zinc left or has it all been
consumed by now? Do I just stop over analyzing this and go slap on some
paint?

I have now read about oil based paints reacting with Zinc, but am still
trying to find out what the best solution is.

I appreciate many of the suggestions, but one issue is that I need to be
able to paint the roof red so that it doesn't stick out like a black eye
in the neighborhood. I believe it would look stupid to have one silver or
white roof and 19 red roofs around the courtyard.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi