  From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]on Behalf Of Dan Rossi
  Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 10:14 PM
  To: Blind Handyman List
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Supporting a chimney

  We have begun interviewing contractors to remodel our kitchen. One issue
  we have been working around is that there is a chimney running from the
  basement, up through the kitchen, and on up through the second floor and
  roof, obviously. The hot water tank that had been venting through that
  chimney has been moved, so nothing is actually using the chimney any more.

  Our plan is to expose the brick of the chimney, it has been plastered over
  possibly since it was built, 80 years ago. However, the first contractor
  we spoke to asked if we had considered removing that part of the chimney
  to just get it out of the way. I told him that I had thought of it, but
  didn't think it would be possible to remove the middle of a chimney. I
  mean, I assume those things are a tad bit heavy. This contractor implied
  that he could remove the middle of the chimney and still support the upper
  part from the ceiling joists.

  Does this sound realistic?

  --
  Blue skies.