Try a small piece of wood, about 1/2 the height of the nail, with square edges
and a shallow saw kerf cut into its face.  Hold the nail in the kerf and set
the block on the work surface.  Hammer the nail 1/2 of the way in.  Remove the
block and finish driving the nail in.

In the vinyl siding section of The Home Depot there is a small nail guide
commonly called a "pea shooter" for putting nails in hard to reach places.  It
is a tube/handle with a magnetic tip rod that is struck with a hammer.

I recently bought an air compressor and pneumatic brad nailer.  I like it much
and wish that I had bought it years ago.

- Gil Laster, Charlotte, NC