LGTM2

/Daniel

On 2021-09-07 16:06, Ian Clelland wrote:

On Mon., Sep. 6, 2021, 3:19 a.m. Yoav Weiss, <yoavwe...@google.com <mailto:yoavwe...@google.com>> wrote:

    On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 12:31 PM Scott Helme <scott.he...@gmail.com
    <mailto:scott.he...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        Hey Yoav,

        Thanks for linking me in, I'm happy to provide my feedback here.

        Transparency: I'm Scott Helme, the founder of Report URI
        <https://report-uri.com/>, which is a commercial service for
        allowing websites to collect reports sent via the Reporting API.

        We have a pretty strong position on the privacy concerns of
        websites collecting reports and outline all of the efforts we
        take to mitigate those concerns in our documentation. The
        change proposed here seems like a step in the right direction
        and as, I believe, the largest service of our kind in the
        world, we would like to show our support.

That's great to hear, thanks!

        The interoperability and compatibility section states that "no
        collectors should have been relying on this behaviour" and I
        can indeed confirm that we don't rely on this behaviour and
        also agree that no other collector should rely on this
        behaviour either.

        The only concern I have is the idea of introducing another way
        to configure the reporting endpoint for NEL and eventually
        deprecating Report-To. Unless there's a particularly good
        reason for doing so, I'd like to avoid the confusion and added
        work for existing users of the Report-To header to have to
        make another change. It would be more convenient for sites
        currently using Report-To to continue to do so for NEL and
        document based reports, only making the change to add
        Reporting-Endpoints if they wish to do so. Is there an
        intended benefit of eventually deprecating Report-To in favour
        of yet another header?

    Thanks for the feedback, Scott! :)

    I believe the future NEL changes are not part of this intent.
    Ian - am I correct? If so, what's the best venue for Scott (and
    others) to provide that feedback and be involved in that conversation?

That's correct; this intent is just for providing the new mechanism; we deliberately introduced the new header in order to allow NEL to continue to function in existing deployments.

My eventual plan is to remove support for configuring document-centered reports with Report-To, and only then to start the process of transitioning network-centered reports, like NEL, away from header-based configuration (if that turns out to be possible), but that will be a separate process, with its own intents.

The Network Reporting spec <https://w3c.github.io/reporting/network-reporting.html> is probably the best forum for talking about how to eventually configure those reports; please file issues here <https://github.com/w3c/reporting/issues> for that.

(As an aside, the biggest benefit of switching NEL away from headers, as I see it, is that Report-To is currently a cookie-like mechanism, where headers received with one document will affect the processing of subsequent requests. It's unavoidable, certainly, that *some* state needs to be persistent for NEL to actually function, but it would be better if there were an origin-scoped mechanism, to avoid all of the issues with using headers for this.)

Ian

        Kind regards,

        Scott.