> I think it's fair to say "positive", given the like and retweet signals
on https://twitter.com/tomayac/status/1403119516922662913 and
https://twitter.com/tomayac/status/1293696281370669057 where this behavior
is described.

Thanks Thomas!

> Do I understand correctly and developers don't need to do anything for
their users to benefit from this? (and just need not to break their content
when many toggle events are fired)

That's correct! Details elements will be opened and toggle events will be
fired when the browser actually scrolls to the content inside a closed
details element.

> I think I'd describe all these put together as "slightly positive".
> At the same time, if I'm assuming correctly and developer opt-in is not
required, then luke-warm developer reception and happy users sounds like a
win.

Great! I agree.
You are assuming correctly that developer opt-in is not required.