Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints#user-agent-client-hints

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/ua-client-hints/#create-arbitrary-brands-section

https://wicg.github.io/ua-client-hints/#grease

API spec

Yes

Summary

This proposal seeks to align our implementation of GREASE in User Agent
Client Hints with the current spec, which includes additional GREASE
characters beyond the current semicolon and space, and which recommends
varying the arbitrary version.

Blink component

Privacy>Fingerprinting
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component%3APrivacy%3EFingerprinting>

Motivation

User-Agent GREASE is intended to discourage arbitrary user agent blocklists
and other assumptions being built on top of the User-Agent header. A
similar concept exists in TLS
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-grease>. This practice is
currently implemented in Chromium, but today’s implementation differs
slightly from the current spec. If implemented, this proposal would enable
additional GREASE characters (the full list includes the following ASCII
characters: 0x20 (SP), 0x28 (left parenthesis), 0x29 (right parenthesis),
0x2D (-), 0x2E (.), 0x2F (/), 0x3A (:), 0x3B (;), 0x3D (=), 0x3F (?), 0x5F
(_)) and vary the arbitrary version over time. Note that the GREASE portion
of the header would remain constant per major version, in accordance with
the spec.

TAG review

UA-CH is currently in review
<https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/640>.

Risks

The prior inclusion of escaped ASCII 0x22 (double quote) and 0x5C
(backslash) proved to be web incompatible
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1091285> and was
rolled back <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1149575>.
While we do not anticipate similar problems with the updated character
list, we will take the following actions to validate this assumption:

   -

   Pre-launch testing of the new characters against known-common sites,
   which will include tests against the components known to have been
   incompatible with the prior implementation.
   -

   A phased rollout along with monitoring of HTTP 4XX response rates.

Interoperability and Compatibility

WebKit: No official position; mild positive signals.
<https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2020-May/031198.html>

Firefox: UA Client hints considered non-harmful
<https://mozilla.github.io/standards-positions/#ua-client-hints>

We will be adding web-platform-tests to validate this functionality.

Tracking bug

https://crbug.com/1164423