> Will this be run as a third-party Origin Trial? As a Finch experiment?
> Other?

This experiment will be run as a 3P Origin Trial,

So, when the experiment finishes, sites that opted-in to that mode will
> lose their cookies and their users will e.g. be logged out, etc?
> That seems like a deterrent. Is there a way around that? (e.g. migrate the
> cookies to the default 3P behavior when the experiment is done. Not sure
> how feasible that is..)

The reasoning behind why we didn't do that is that partitioned cookies
allow the existence of multiple cookies with the same host key, name, and
path to exist in separate partitions. Rather than coalescing these into one
cookie (which one is the right one to keep, after all?), we decided to just
remove partitioned cookies from clients' machines when the feature is
disabled to provide deterministic behavior.

 The long term plan is to get rid of "tracking" cookies, or more
> specifically third party cookies shared between multiple first parties.

Correct
<https://blog.google/products/chrome/updated-timeline-privacy-sandbox-milestones/>
.

 This will not change anything unless a site explicitly asks for their
> cookies to stop tracking people.

In the short term, yes, clients with partitioned cookies enabled will
support both partitioned and unpartitioned cross-site cookies. Once 3PCs
are removed (see link above) then only partitioned cookies will be allowed
in cross-party contexts.

Eventually the default might change to "Partioned" and another flag will
> have to be used to keep tracking users cross sites... In step 4 I assume
> "Partitioned" becomes a no-op since that is the only available stage?

I imagine when we first turn off 3PC that third parties will still need to
explicitly opt into using partitioned state using the
Partitioned attribute. If third parties do not opt into this behavior then
they will be unable to use cookies at all. But, in the long term, we may
have the Partitioned behavior be the default for cross-site cookies. In
that case, the Partitioned attribute could just be ignored and eventually
deprecated.

> If that is right, should this prepare the syntax to allow for step 3, like
> having "Partitioned=Absolutely" and "Partitioned=Nope" instead of just
> partitioned?

I don't think we need the Partitioned attribute to have any other semantic
meaning other than a flag saying "I am opting into receiving partitioned 3P
state", so we decided to design it like the Secure and HttpOnly attributes
(i.e. its presence in the cookie line being "true", it's absence being
"false").

Do you have partners ready to start testing this?

Yes, there are a couple partners I know offhand who are interested in
testing this.