Contact emails

curran...@chromium.org, ryanst...@chromium.org

Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/responsive-image-client-hints/blob/master/Viewport-Height-Explainer.md

Specification

https://wicg.github.io/responsive-image-client-hints/#sec-ch-viewport-height

Summary

Currently, Responsive Image Client Hints provide a way for origins to
obtain the viewport’s width. However, no such attribute exists for viewport
height. We’ve observed that to optimize the loading of content that appears
in viewport, it is essential for the origins to adapt HTML response based
on viewport height.

Blink component

Blink>Loader
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3ELoader>

TAG review

TAG review status

Issues addressed

Link to origin trial feedback summary

https://github.com/WICG/responsive-image-client-hints/issues

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/79)

WebKit: Negative (
https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2020-November/031576.html)
Likely to be neutral based on discussion in
https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/79

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

Activation

None

WebView Application Risks

Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs, such that
it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based applications?

Goals for experimentation

Client hints opt-ins from origins are session-sticky which makes it
difficult to experiment with using origin trials since origin trials
operate at document-level. We plan to run an A/B experiment using Chrome’s
field trial infrastructure. Our plan is to enable the feature for at most
1% users to collect metrics, and ship this feature only if it shows
performance improvement for origins that choose to use this feature.

Reason this experiment is being extended

Due to Chrome approvals taking longer than expected, and partners still
needing to implement how to use the client hint, we have not been able to
experiment yet. We would like to extend the origin trial from M101 to M104.

Ongoing technical constraints

Debuggability

N/A

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac,
Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?

Yes

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>
?

Yes

Flag name

kViewportHeightClientHintHeader

Requires code in //chrome?

False

Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1184863

Launch bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1184862

Estimated milestones

OriginTrial desktop last

101 → 104

OriginTrial desktop first

99

OriginTrial android last

101 → 104

OriginTrial android first

99

Links to previous Intent discussions

Intent to Experiment:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/Q2wcqY2UyNs/m/rPePdX_NBwAJ

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status
<https://chromestatus.com/>.