LGTM1, with a careful launch (as usual, but even more so).

The usage counter indicates that the ceiling of breakage is quite high (in the 0.1% magnitude range) but I believe that your analysis of is likely accurate and the real amount of affected sites is likely to be much lower. Furthermore, any breakage has a fair chance of not affecting a sites functionality.

/Daniel

On 2022-04-12 16:28, 'Joe Medley' via blink-dev wrote:
Please ping me if it ends up being 103. I don't like missing things in the beta release post.

On Tuesday, April 12, 2022 at 12:23:37 AM UTC-7 and...@chromium.org wrote:

    On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 7:45 PM Joe Medley <jme...@google.com> wrote:

        Are you aiming for 102?

    That's branching very soon, so definitely not. I'm not really
    aiming for any particular release. But if you want a prediction
    anyway, then likely 104.

        On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 7:17:45 AM UTC-7 Emilio Cobos
        Alvarez wrote:

            On 4/11/22 15:02, Anders Hartvoll Ruud wrote:
            > Ah, I'm not familiar with that way of doing compat
            research. What would
            > we gain from doing that vs. regular use-counter + HTTP
            Archive?

            > Do we expect those 0.1% to visibly break? (I guess that
            depends on
            > what they're feature testing for..)
            >

            > I would not expect that at all based on the HTTP Archive
            query. If
            > testing against "not all" was commonplace, I'd expect
            more results
            > beyond the two Yandex scripts. Or, perhaps it is
            commonplace, but it
            > happens mostly on features that actually *are* supported
            at the moment.

            > Just as an example (and to show that "not all" testing
            isn't a myth),
            > one of the few (non-Yandex-script) sites that did show
            up was
            > https://ww.sapo.pt <https://ww.sapo.pt>, which does the
            following:

            > if(rule.mediaText.includes("not all") || ...)
            >
            > By the looks of it, it's an early-out related to the
            theme switching,
            > which prevents the code from amending the query if
            prefers-color-scheme
            > is not supported. Had we not
            supported prefers-color-scheme, then I
            > think the worst that could happen is that we end up with
            a more
            > complicated query that still ultimately evaluates to
            false. Testing the
            > page with the feature enabled (with and without dark
            mode preference),
            > their color switcher still works normally.
            >
            > That is just one site though, it's probably
            theoretically possible to
            > write *something* that breaks. I did try to look at the
            "sample URLs"
            > for the counters, but I couldn't actually reproduce the
            counters being hit.

            It's a thing that even Google DevRel people have
            recommended in the
            past, ftr :)

            https://web.dev/prefers-color-scheme/#supporting-dark-mode

    Ouch ...

            But if you have data to indicate this is not a problem in
            the wild I'd
            be happy to implement it in Gecko after you ship this change.

            Cheers,

            -- Emilio

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "blink-dev" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/87a783d4-dbd7-4b0c-8ba1-7a118a87d759n%40chromium.org <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/87a783d4-dbd7-4b0c-8ba1-7a118a87d759n%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.