Hi Evan,

Updating our developer-facing documentation accordingly:
https://github.com/GoogleChrome/web.dev/pull/7753. Happy to see this
(hopefully) land very soon!

Cheers,
Tom

On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 10:47 PM Evan Stade <est...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Contact emails
>
> est...@chromium.org, dmu...@chromium.org
>
> Explainer
>
> https://github.com/WICG/file-handling/blob/master/explainer.md
>
> Specification
>
> https://wicg.github.io/manifest-incubations/index.html#file_handlers-member
>
> Design docs
>
> https://tinyurl.com/file-handling-design
>
> Summary
>
> File Handling provides a way for web applications to declare the ability
> to handle files with given MIME types and extensions. The web application
> will receive an event when the user intends to open a file with that web
> application.
>

> Blink component
>
> UI>Browser>WebAppInstalls>FileHandling
> <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:UI%3EBrowser%3EWebAppInstalls%3EFileHandling>
>
> Search tags
>
> files <https://chromestatus.com/features#tags:files>, file handling
> <https://chromestatus.com/features#tags:file%20handling>, mime
> <https://chromestatus.com/features#tags:mime>
>
> TAG review
>
> https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/371
>
> TAG review status
>
> Issues addressed
>
> Link to origin trial feedback summary
>

> https://plx.corp.google.com/scripts2/script_61._146b85_0000_2bae_bb88_001a114abbb8
>
> Risks
>
> Interoperability and CompatibilityFails to become an interoperable part
> of the web if other browsers don't implement it.
>
> Sites can detect whether the feature exists, but polyfill or other
> fallbacks are unlikely to be possible or required. As this API is just one
> way to open a file in an app, apps will be able to open files with
> alternate means (such as <input type="file"> or drag and drop) regardless
> of the presence of this API.
>

> Gecko: N/A (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/629)
>
> WebKit: N/A (
> https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2022-April/032185.html)
>
> Web developers: Positive (
> https://discourse.wicg.io/t/proposal-ability-to-register-file-handlers/3084/4)
> Already being prototyped by at least construct.net and excalidraw.com,
> based on https://crbug.com/1126091 and https://crbug.com/1131445. We also
> have a major partner that we can't publicly disclose.
>
> Other signals:
>
> Ergonomics
>
> This feature relies on File System Access and the new
> LaunchQueue/LaunchHandler objects which are also to be used for
> `launch_handler`. No known performance risks.
>

> Activation
>
> Documentation and outreach will be helpful to understanding this API:
> https://web.dev/file-handling/
>

> Security
>
> Please see the security model:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pTTO5MTSlxuqxpWL3pFblKB8y8SR0jPao8uAjJSUTp4/edit
>

> WebView application risks

> [...]

Thomas Steiner, PhD—Developer Relations Engineer (https://blog.tomayac.com,
https://twitter.com/tomayac)

Google Germany GmbH, ABC-Str. 19, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Liana Sebastian