Hey all!

Looks like I'm jumping on this train a little bit late, but still probably
I’m not the last person on earth that is in the field of the web and only
recently stumbled this change. After reading all this thread carefully I
still feel that not everything was resolved so I’m posting it.

Some of the reason that precise device detection is applied is to serve the
best content for the users. Something that was mentioned in the thread
previously. There’re multiple reasons for it that I see:
1. To provide the best UX based on the device – so mobile gets mobile web
sites, desktop gets desktop experience and tablet is something in the gray
zone – that’s where the use of the exact model is required, and based on
device size, CPU capabilities and other properties the correct UI is
provided.
2. Another requirement is to get full version of the browser and preferably
the OS versions. As an example, if you work with video streaming, HLS,
WebRTC and etc. they tend to break pretty often and could be fixed or broke
again even between minor versions. And sometimes OS itself is a reason for
it. So, the combination of these is required to allow/disallow some
features and apply workarounds.
3. BI for detecting anomalies in specific version. You usually don’t need
user’s fingerprint if the user is registered and logged in. But to be able
to support the above 2 points and make other per device decisions the
shortened UA is not enough.

Experimenting lately with the UA-CH implementation for the websites, mostly
the Critical-CH as high entropy CH are required to make the above decision
on the “first hit”. The conclusion is that the proposed Critical-CH change
is far from ideal, even harmful. The specs basically tell:
1. Browser sends a request to the server with a low entropy CH, e.g.
“Sec-CH-UA-Mobile”.
2. Server sends in respond Critical-CH with list of high entropy CH,
together with a full web page.
3. Browser detects new high entropy CH that are required and makes another
request now with required CH
4. Server sends back a page that is adapted to the full UA-CH

You all probably know the above, and some problems were raised already in
this thread but I’ll mention them again as some weren’t answered:
1. Two requests – doubles the time till user receives the content – and
there’re multiple researches that show how badly the load time affects the
conversion.
2. The server renders the full page on first request and it’s being
omitted: More time on meaningless respond sending, more traffic, more time
on server creating the response – think of server going to DB – useless
load on all layers. More power consumption…
3. How the server knows that the client will send a second request or not?
Maybe the browser doesn’t support at all client hints then the server needs
to prepare the whole page and not optimize internal BL. The other case is
that browser supports CH but won’t send them anyway (if in the future user
will opt out from some CH, if it will be available, or the privacy budget
is empty).
4. BL should be rewritten as now user makes sometimes 2 requests.

The alternative solution that was discussed by developers is to use
redirects that are sent from the server for more data. Basically, the
scheme stays as the above but the server sends 307, or other redirect code,
with Accept-CH, so after the redirect the client adds the missing CH. The
discussed drawback was that there could be an infinite loop if it’s
implemented wrongly.

Benefits of this approach is that the server doesn’t waste time on full
page render, the response size is lower and that the server is sure that
the browser will make the second request.

Tried to optimize the first approach, with Critical-CH, to save as much as
possible on the first request, the response that was 200 with empty page
(don’t do it on prod!). But it is not future proof. Where browser may not
send second request at all. Also guessing that browser supports UA-CH is *not
defined* – just heuristic that “Sec-CH-UA-Mobile” is set, and the second
guess is that one of the high entropy is missing is by maintaining on
server side list of all HE-CH and comparing it to the request. This list is
also constantly changing so this is also a *not well-defined* part of the
specification.

Also tested the Critical-CH together with 307. So, even if the guess that
browser doesn’t support CH is wrong, the browser will still follow the
redirect and render the required page to the user. For browsers that
support CH the expected behavior was to just make a second request and
ignore the response. And here was a surprise, there was no second request
to the page, the browser just followed the redirect. This behavior was
mentioned only in the source code thread, and not in the specs:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/refs/heads/main/components/client_hints/README.md

<https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fchromium.googlesource.com%2Fchromium%2Fsrc%2F%2B%2Frefs%2Fheads%2Fmain%2Fcomponents%2Fclient_hints%2FREADME.md&data=04%7C01%7Ckirillk%40top4.com%7C863c28c144d7423ac71c08da1e0a18a3%7C5add8cc5d607420c9cf4fc411e4cafd0%7C0%7C1%7C637855325982683054%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&sdata=CyoyqpC0hFT51CldbM30WGosZRU8aZ3cb%2BhEBPNLN08%3D&reserved=0>

*“The Critical-CH retry mechanism is implemented as
content::CriticalClientHintsThrottle and all of the important logic is in
WillProcessResponse. When a retry situation is found (and the redirected_
flag isn’t set) the header is stored, the new hints are stored as normal
and the request is “restarted” (i.e. the response is changed to an internal
redirect to the same location, which is also what DevTools sees).”*

This message is already got long, and there’re more of non-answered
questions about CH that deserve a separate post. But my main point is that
there’s no defined way how to get the required high entropy client hints
without harming the user and the web site owner.

Regards