LGTM1

Thanks for initiating those discussions. My read of the minutes is that
they consider the async approach to be fine, and don't arbitrate on the
naming questions, other than saying that none of the proposals seem better
than where this API has landed. (and some may add confusion)
As such it seems that going with the API as currently defined doesn't bear
significant interoperability risk.