On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 8:41 AM Yoav Weiss <yoavwe...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 12:36 AM Jeremy Roman <jbro...@chromium.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Contact emails
>>
>> jbro...@chromium.org, kenjibah...@chromium.org
>>
>> Explainer
>>
>> https://github.com/WICG/nav-speculation/blob/main/triggers.md
>>
>> Specification
>>
>> https://wicg.github.io/nav-speculation/speculation-rules.html
>>
>> https://wicg.github.io/nav-speculation/prefetch.html
>>
>> Summary
>>
>> Flexible syntax for defining what outgoing links are eligible to be
>> prepared speculatively before navigation. Enables access to additional
>> enhancements, such as use of a private prefetch proxy, where applicable.
>>

> So IIUC, this intent is for shipping cross-origin prefetch? Where have
> y'all landed on the question of cache partitioning? Which partition is
> storing this prefetched resource?

It is isolated from any existing cache partition, and if the user does not
then navigate to the prefetched resource it is not stored further.

This is limited to the "prefetch" action, and does not include "prerender".
>> The Chrome setting (extended preloading) which allows any site to request
>> use of the private prefetch proxy and was previously mentioned on intents
>> for this feature, is currently disabled for policy reasons but can be
>> exposed via Finch as part of a launch, if approved.
>>
>> Blink component
>>
>> Internals>Preload
>> <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Internals%3EPreload>
>>
>> TAG review
>>
>> https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/611
>> https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/721
>>

> https://github.com/WICG/nav-speculation/issues/160 which seems like
> something we'd want to resolve before shipping.
> Are y'all considering this new syntax?
> Would it make sense to run this by your OT participants and/or partners?
> Web developers in general?

The reason I don't think so is that this intent includes only more basic
rules which supply a list of URLs, and extending the syntax to allow
developers to select URLs from the links in the page is a future
enhancement, albeit one I'm personally excited about. I don't expect that
choices about how to express such selectors to cause compatibility issues
with plain list-of-URLs rules.

>> TAG review status
>>
>> First is complete, second is pending.
>>
>> Risks
>>
>> Interoperability and Compatibility
>>

> Which of the 24 issues <https://github.com/WICG/nav-speculation/issues>
> open on the repo is relevant for this intent? Can you highlight those that
> may impact future compat and interop?

It's intended that such issues be labelled with speculation-rules or
prefetch (indicating they affect one of the two pieces this would ship) and
affects-compat. At the moment, the only such issue is this one
<https://github.com/WICG/nav-speculation/issues/133>, which I believe is
resolved as to prefetch. Looking again, any followup discussion (e.g.
regarding subresources in prerenders) fit better in another issue, so I've
closed that one.

This issue <https://github.com/WICG/nav-speculation/issues/158> is not so
labelled, though it's marginal and arguably could be. There is some ongoing
discussion (which might become a whatwg/html issue shortly) connected to it
about when user agents should observe modification and removal. While I
would like to resolve this shortly, I expect the practical change to be
relatively small and if anything in the direction of providing somewhat
stronger guarantees rather than weaker ones.

Most of the issues are with respect to either other features or
enhancements which are likely to evolve in a way that is compatible with
this.

>> Gecko: No signal (
>> https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/620)
>>
>> WebKit: No signal (
>> https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2022-March/032158.html)
>>
>> Web developers: Some positive signal from a developer using the feature,
>> and from a developer operating a site that is prefetched using this feature.
>>

> It'd be good to externalize such feedback if at all possible. Any links?

I'll ask.