Contact emails

dylancut...@google.com, kaustub...@google.com

Spec (Copied from I2E)

https://github.com/WICG/CHIPS

Summary (Copied from I2E)

Given that Chrome plans on obsoleting unpartitioned third-party cookies, we
want to give developers the ability to use cookies in cross-site contexts
that are partitioned by top-level site (or First-Party Set, where the site
uses that feature) to meet use cases that are not cross-site tracking
related (e.g. SaaS embeds, headless CMS, sandbox domains, etc.). In order
to do so, we introduce a mechanism to opt-in to having their third-party
cookies partitioned by top-level site using a new cookie attribute,
Partitioned.

Link to “Intent to Prototype” blink-dev discussion (Copied from I2E)

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/blink-dev/c/hvMJ33kqHRo

Goals for experimentation (Copied from I2E)

CHIPS is a new, opt-in technology meant to preserve a set of use cases
(e.g. third-party embeds) that may break once third-party cookies are
phased out while preventing cross-site tracking. We need to validate
whether the proposed syntax and semantics solve these use cases prior to
third-party cookie obsoletion by giving developers a way to test it in a
scaled manner and provide early feedback. We hope to validate ergonomics,
deployability, and backward compatibility.

Experimental timeline (Modified)

The experiment  started in M100 and started on March 29th, 2022 and is
currently scheduled to run until June 14, 2022.

We would like to extend the experiment through M104; or in other words,
until the release of M105, which is August 30th, 2022.

Any risks when the experiment finishes? (Copied from I2E)

Since Chrome will not send and may delete partitioned cookies when it is
started with the feature disabled, sites that set cookies with the
Partitioned attribute during the experiment will no longer have those
cookies available on clients' machines.

Reasons this experiment is being extended (New)

   -

   We are talking to multiple interested testing partners, with different
   use cases, who have requested additional time to prepare for the origin
   trial, and test the feature.  Extending the trial would allow us to gather
   more feedback across more use cases.
   -

   We discovered a bug
   <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1324687> that
   prevents Origin Trial opt-in from third-party contexts, which is the
   typical configuration to use the feature. This bug has been fixed in M103.
   -

   We have received feedback

<https://github.com/GoogleChromeLabs/privacy-sandbox-dev-support/discussions/33>
   that the current origin trial opt-in mechanism is difficult to deploy for
   large organizations. We have proposed an update to the design

<https://github.com/GoogleChromeLabs/privacy-sandbox-dev-support/discussions/33#discussioncomment-2725725>
   of this mechanism, which we aim to release in M103.

Ongoing technical constraints (Copied from I2E)

None.

Debuggability (Copied from I2E)

We have coordinated with the DevTools team to surface cookie partition keys
to developers in DevTools. We have added a new cookie inclusion reason with
a debug string when sites set Partitioned cookies incorrectly. We may also
support surfacing partitioned cookies that are not included in requests
because their partition key did not match the top-level site in DevTools.

Will this feature be supported on all five Blink platforms supported by
Origin Trials (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, and Android)? (Copied from
I2E)

Yes.

Link to entry on the feature dashboard <https://www.chromestatus.com/>
(Copied from I2E)