LGTM1.

It would be better if it was more cross-platform, but I accept that this is the best we can do right now. And I agree that this is close to a bug fix.

/Daniel

On 2022-06-01 19:00, Sahir Vellani wrote:

On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 9:31:01 AM UTC-7 mike...@chromium.org wrote:

    Hi Sahir,

    On 5/26/22 4:44 PM, 'Sahir Vellani' via blink-dev wrote:
    Contact emails
    sahir....@microsoft.com, gerc...@microsoft.com, bema...@microsoft.com

    Specification
    https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ui-3/#cursor

    Summary

    Platform cursor size used as default for custom SVG cursors if no
    specified size. SVG cursors can scale based on the platform
    accessibility/cursor settings. This can be overridden if the
    cursor has any specified dimensions. This feature is initially
    available on Windows only.

    It's not 100% clear to me what you're proposing shipping here
    (this may be due to my lack of expertise in this area), and the
    spec link doesn't help much I'm afraid. A short explainer with use
    cases and mockups or screenshots would be helpful, if you could
    post one. Or is this just a bugfix, rather than a new feature?

*This is basically a bug fix that will slightly change CSS cursor API behavior. The main change here is that web developers that specify an SVG to the CSS Cursor property with no specified size will see it rendered with the size being what Chromium gets from the platform. The spec states: "The default object size <https://www.w3.org/TR/css-images-3/#default-object-size> for cursor images is a UA-defined size that should be based on the size of a typical cursor on the UA’s operating system". With this change, this statement will be honored, as previously Chromium would not know the "typical" size of the cursor and just render a default cursor.*

    Blink component
    Blink>SVG
    <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3ESVG>

    TAG review

    TAG review status
    Not applicable

    Risks

    Interoperability and Compatibility

    Web developers will need to reexamine the way they handle SVG
    cursors with no specified sizes. A custom cursor may be rendered
    where it was previously just the default cursor image.
    Could you explain why a different (presumably fallback) cursor
    would be rendered?

*The scenario where a different cursor is rendered is as follows: Web developer sets an SVG image as the cursor but with no specified size. Without this change, the actual rendered cursor is the default for that cursor type (i.e. I beam, pointer). With this change, the actual rendered cursor will be the SVG image with a size being what the OS provides Chromium. *

    /Gecko/: No signal

    /WebKit/: No signal

    /Web developers/: No signals

    /Other signals/:

    WebView application risks

    Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs,
    such that it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based
    applications?

    Debuggability

    Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms
    (Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?
    No

    Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests

<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?
    No

    Flag name

    Requires code in //chrome?
    False

    Tracking bug
    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=737459

    Estimated milestones

    105

    Anticipated spec changes

    Open questions about a feature may be a source of future web
    compat or interop issues. Please list open issues (e.g. links to
    known github issues in the project for the feature specification)
    whose resolution may introduce web compat/interop risk (e.g.,
    changing to naming or structure of the API in a
    non-backward-compatible way).

    This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status
    <https://chromestatus.com/>.
    Google Groups "blink-dev" group.
    send an email to blink-dev+...@chromium.org.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/b87b0ab4-836d-45f0-af04-2ce26b3e718an%40chromium.org

<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/b87b0ab4-836d-45f0-af04-2ce26b3e718an%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "blink-dev" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/60c63f0c-f57e-44bd-81c1-6235ca888fe4n%40chromium.org <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/60c63f0c-f57e-44bd-81c1-6235ca888fe4n%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.