On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 7:02 PM Ari Chivukula <aric...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Gecko: Neutral

I don't think I should claim to speak for Gecko anymore, but that
comment of mine was not neutral. We keep adding mutable policies (and
I include one-off no policy -> policy transitions in this) on the
basis that it makes sense to those pushing for those policies and the
people they happen to talk to, but it doesn't make sense from a
slightly broader perspective. It builds on brittle infrastructure and
fundamentally can result in hard to diagnose bugs.

Yes, declaring policies via HTTP might hurt adoption short term, but
overcoming that hurdle is what we should focus on. Instead, we keep
having this debate for each new policy as nobody is willing to own the
actual problem. (There's a very similar problem with getting features
to be restricted to secure contexts. Each feature advocate is always
convinced their feature shouldn't be and will then go on to enumerate
the problems requiring secure contexts might cause them...)