Contact emails
jiahe.zh...@intel.com<mailto:jiahe.zh...@intel.com>,
fdo...@chromium.org<mailto:fdo...@chromium.org>

Specification
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/timers-and-user-prompts.html

Design docs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WFyfKUUxqM7uKxKOGhLiOjyY6T7QRduVcuHN0f6vJkk/edit

Summary

Enter Intensive Wake Up throttling after 10 seconds if the page is fully loaded
when it becomes hidden. Currently, wake ups from JS timers with a nesting level
>= 5 are throttled to 1 per minute after the page has spent 5 minutes in the
background [1], which is very conservative and was chosen to allow a launch of
Intensive Wake Up Throttling with minimal regression risk. We're now planning
to reduce this timeout to 10 seconds if the page is fully loaded when hidden.
[1] https://chromestatus.com/feature/4718288976216064

Blink component
Blink>Scheduling<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EScheduling>

TAG review
Not applicable. This feature changes the behavior of an existing API, while
remaining spec-compliant ("Optionally, wait a further implementation-defined
length of
time.<https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/timers-and-user-prompts.html#run-steps-after-a-timeout>")

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

Gecko: No signal

WebKit: No signal

Web developers: No signals

Other signals: The more conservative version of Intensive Wake Up Throttling
shipped smoothly to 100% Stable more than 1 year ago. A few bugs were filed,
but in all cases we've been able to propose workarounds which made apps more
efficient
(example<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1186569#c16>).

WebView application risks

Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs, such that it
has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based applications?

No, this feature will only ship on desktop platforms.

Goals for experimentation
We plan to experiment on 1% Stable to confirm whether we observe the same
memory and power improvements as in the lab and on lower channels. We will
decide whether this intervention ships based on the experiment data.

Ongoing technical constraints
None

Debuggability

This is not a new Web Platform feature.

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux,
Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?
No

This feature will only ship on desktop platforms. On Android, the system
severely limits resource consumption from background renderers, which makes
this feature unnecessary.

Is this feature fully tested by
web-platform-tests<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?
Yes

Flag name
quick-intensive-throttling-after-loading

Requires code in //chrome?
False

Tracking bug
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1324656

Estimated milestones
DevTrial on desktop
105

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform
Status<https://chromestatus.com/>.